Monday, May 11, 2009

Smallpox and the secrets of the human immune system

An article on smallpox! And it's interesting too...

So University of Florida researchers have discovered that smallpox wrecked havoc in part by disabling the inflammation response that constitutes one of the first lines of defense against disease. They did a systematic examination of all the proteins produced by smallpox when interacting with human DNA proteins. Through this examination they found that a viral protein G1R, when interacting with human nuclear factor kappa-B1, resulted in a high inhibition of inflammation that has few peers in virology. Unfortunately the article does not mention any results regarding the other smallpox proteins that were examined, but the research presented in this article could not only prove fruitful for further developments in smallpox treatments and vaccines, but also for a much deeper and nuanced picture of the human immune response, which could assist other researchers in developing treatments for other diseases.

Article link: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/05/090511180710.htm

-Andrew Plan

2 comments:

  1. Ooh I'm excited because I learned something similar for my tutorial essay about the complement system - vaccinia has complement evasion strategies that allow it to inhibit complement (part of the innate immune system). It accomplishes this by producing proteins that structurally mimic complement proteins, thus competing with actual substrates, and also by dissociating complement complexes. Viruses are so smart...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Can’t still believe that i got cured from Genital Herpes through herbal treatment from Dr Oyagu who I met through the internet, I actually couldn’t believe it at first because it sounded impossible to me knowing how far I have gone just to get rid of it. Dr Oyagu send me his medicine which I took as instructed and here I am living a happy life once again, a big thanks to Dr Oyagu, I am sure there are many herbal doctors out there but Dr Oyagu did it for me, contact him oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com , also call or whatsApp him on +2348101755322

    ReplyDelete