Thursday, May 14, 2009

New and Hot- Cell Phones Combating ID?

Check out this interesting article about attempts to use cell phones in third world countries to spread awareness about HIV and other diseases, as well as track populations and predict pandemics. A whole host of organizations have joined together to make better use of mobile phones, including WHO. They claim their efforts have shown a 40% rise in HIV testing, but that number is unsubstantiated. Despite that, it seems like a cool program. They send out texts to people with HIV quizzes and give out free phones and minutes as prizes. Apparently they've gotten good responses. They also are using cellphones to keep health service people connected. It's pretty cool stuff. Check it out:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6W8X-4W4D29H-9&_user=126524&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000010360&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=126524&md5=4e095375add42cebd32c29554a020abd

Katie

9 comments:

  1. Stanford's own Josh Nesbit ('09) started a related project in Malawi called FrontlineSMS...it's pretty awesome. Check out his page/CNN coverage--

    http://frontlinesms.ning.com/profile/JoshNesbit

    http://edition.cnn.com/2008/TECH/12/03/db.malawicellphones/index.html

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Can’t still believe that i got cured from Genital Herpes through herbal treatment from Dr Oyagu who I met through the internet, I actually couldn’t believe it at first because it sounded impossible to me knowing how far I have gone just to get rid of it. Dr Oyagu send me his medicine which I took as instructed and here I am living a happy life once again, a big thanks to Dr Oyagu, I am sure there are many herbal doctors out there but Dr Oyagu did it for me, contact him oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com , also call or whatsApp him on +2348101755322

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy to see the considerable subtle element here!. cell phone addiction treatment

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're the best to share us about this redesign. Trust you won't get tired on making posts as enlightening as this. cell phone addiction treatment

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous online journal you have here. You'll find me taking a gander at your stuff regularly. Spared! cell phone addiction treatment

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super site! I am Loving it!! Will return once more, Im taking your food likewise, Thanks. phone addiction treatment

    ReplyDelete
  7. I truly like you're composing style, incredible data, thankyou for posting. 交友平台

    ReplyDelete
  8. A good blog always comes-up with new and exciting information and while reading I have feel that this blog is really have all those quality that qualify a blog to be a one. 約會

    ReplyDelete